Tuesday, June 2, 2009

MRI part 2

OK, so yesterday I had the brain MRI done. As the tech and I walked back to the scanner, I was singing "If I only had a brain" (Wizard of Oz--Scarecrow, remember?). Back on the flat table with my head in the "hold still" pillow. Ear plugs in. On goes the hockey mask and it's bolted into place. deeper into the tube this time. Blaaat...clack....claclunkclaclunkclaclunk.......whirrrrrrr......buzzzbuzzz....chirp.....tictictic.
Ten minutes or so and I slide out of the tube. Time for contrast. My veins are crap. They are small, they roll, they sink, they hide! I would hate to have to stick myself! Poor tech, she stuck me twice and the vein wouldn't cooperate. It hurt like a chisel going into my hand! She asked me if I wanted someone else to stick me as she moved to my right hand. No, there's a good vein (I point it out) here. One stick, a little wiggling, BINGO! The contrast goes in. I'm allergic to Iodine, so she pushed slowly. No problem. Back into the tube. Same noises. Keep the eyes closed. Sing to yourself (does that have any effect on the way my brain will look?). Back out of the tube. DONE!
Now, I get to wait for the report. I hope the release form I signed made it clear that I want a copy of both MRIs sent to my PCP and myself. I like to keep a copy of my records at home, just in case.