Monday, June 29, 2009

Girls' Days


Catie and I spent a couple of days at my sister's house on the lake. The trip had nightmare potential.
The original plan was for Catie to take the train to White Sulfur Springs where I would pick her up after I left work and head to NC. The train was running 3 hours late, so I went home instead. I was planning to take a nap till the train arrived, then we would head south. The train did not pull into the station until 4:30 that afternoon (it was due in at 11:30 that morning)! We decided to wait till the next morning to travel.
The drive was easy and we had fun doing our own special kind of "singing"! Ma and my sister-in-law, Jenny, were already there. We sat around and talked for a while, then went to a restaurant on the lake for dinner. The food was great, but it was HOT outside! We even got our waitress to take our picture! Back at the house, we watched continuous coverage of Michael Jackson's death. Friday morning, we went shopping in Asheville. I bought a pair of MBT shoes to wear to work. Catie said that they were the ugliest shoes she's ever seen! They were right pricey, but they are soooo comfortable! We ate lunch at a tea room. Again, the food was good, but it was hot outside! We got back to the house and turned on the TV. Michael Jackson was still dead and the coverage continued. Catie and I went grocery shopping and fixed spaghetti for supper. We spent most of our time chatting and laughing. We never did make it down to the lake.
We drove to Charlotte Saturday morning. The plan was to take Ma home and spend the night at Chris' house since it hasn't sold yet. When we opened up the house, it must have been 130 degrees inside. I couldn't get the power to work. I called Dave and was instructed to call Duke power. I didn't have a phone book! He began fussing about how Ma and Pop must have one, just go to their house! In the meantime, Catie called Ben and he gave us the number. I called Duke Power and got the "automated" menu. I didn't want any of their choices, I just wanted to talk to a person! I finally got a human to answer the call and was told that the power was cut off in May, but they would be glad to turn it back on on Monday. I told her that Monday wouldn't help me any, I need power today! Too bad. So, I called Dave and filled him in. I asked him if he thought we should drive home or get a hotel room for the night. He said he'd call me back. Meantime, Catie and I are driving around Charlotte! He called back and said that Duke power owed us money (we had a credit on the account!) but they cut the power off anyway. He told them to leave the power off and send him a check. He said that he really didn't care what we did. We ate lunch and headed north to Catie's house.
I called Dave later to let him know that I was spending the night at Catie's house. He didn't see why we couldn't come to our house. I told him that Catie wanted to sleep in her own bed (when I got home and saw the condition of my house, I couldn't blame her!) He got snappy and I hung up. Sunday, I picked up Elliott and we met Catie and Ben at the mall. We did the mall crawl and hung out for a while, then I took Elliott to work. I hit the interstate and headed home. Ahhhh........

3 comments:

  1. I think the house was dirty cause of your cats... Otherwise, it was looking about as decent as a house being refloored can look... I'm just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I'm caring for a half dozen cats that other family members left here, I'd say that's part of the problem. I'm talking about the lack of cleaning floors, bathrooms, and just general junk in every room! I'm not the only adult living here and I'm not cleaning up others' messes.
    BTW: Anyone want a cat? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. RAWR!!! Hahahahahahahahaha:) I only have two cats inside. And so far, mine's not looking to be the overwhelming guilty party in the floor mine contest, as someone else already has a 3-0 lead. FREE BOOTS!

    ReplyDelete