Monday, June 15, 2009

Flag Day


Yesterday was Flag Day. The day we celebrate the American Flag.
It was also Thom's birthday. It's hard to believe that it's been nearly six months since he died. I really miss his odd sense of humor. He was a master at the art of understatement! He was also a dedicated husband, dad, and friend. His "trademark", if you can call it that, was his variety of shirts: Hawaiian in the summer, flannel in the winter. After his funeral, I asked Jenny if I could have a couple of his shirts. It sounds like a strange request, but I had a plan!
I wanted to use the fabric to make a pillow for Donna and John. That way, they could have a part of their dad near them all the time. Jenny carried it a step further, she had the kids pick their favorite shirt to send to me.
I wanted to have the shirts finished in time for our "girls' weekend" in a couple of weeks. I started working on them yesterday. As I cut into the fabric, it occurred to me that I was cutting up Thom's shirts on his birthday. I cut carefully so that the shirt pocket could be worked into the pillow. I continued to sew and the pillows took shape. I had enough fabric left to make a small handkerchief to go into the pocket. I hope the kids will enjoy their pillows and know that every time they hug their pillow, they are getting a hug from their dad.