Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Home again

Elliott came home yesterday. He's still obnoxious and argumentative, but he's here. Maybe he'll learn something in the next few weeks.
Part of the problem, I think, is that Dadqat makes threats but never follows through. "I'll take the car", "I'll cut off your phone", "I'll take you right back to Huntington". When he finally took the car, I think he was as surprised as anyone! The only reason that he took it was because ET was letting Princess drive it. No one in the family can convince ET that we (Dadquat and I) would be held legally liable if Princess causes a wreck and injures/kills someone. The car is registered under our names! We pay for the tags and insurance. She is not covered under our insurance. My BIL suggested that we have her arrested for auto theft if we catch her driving the car again. Not a problem. It is safely tucked away in storage until ET's legal problems are over.
On the legal front; I have talked to our lawyer. I was told the following: ET blew a 0.09, that's legally drunk. Even if ET passed the field sobriety test twice, that 0.09 makes him drunk. Since this is his first offense, he will be required to serve 24 hours in jail (he didn't like the 8-10 hours he's already served!), complete DUI classes, surrender his license for 3-6 months, and pay any assessed fines and court costs. All of this happens without a lawyer! Paying a lawyer (anywhere from 2,000-5,000 dollars!) could result in all charges being dropped IF the arresting officer failed to "dot all his I(s) and cross all his T(s)". That's a lot of money for an IF!
The DUI classes are offered through local mental health providers. The classes in our area are extremely limited. They are held from 9am-1pm, every Monday, for 8 weeks. If the class has already started when someone calls to register, that person has to wait till the next series of classes begins. The classes cost $250.00, payable by cash or money order only! I have ET registered in the local classes, but he has no intention of hanging around here till late April!
My next feat of dexterity and skill will be to register him in classes in Huntington and call a couple of lawyers in that area to find out what their fee will be. I'm considering letting him go to court without a lawyer, even though Mark Twain said that "anyone who represents himself in court has a fool for a client"! Why not let this be a real learning experience for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment