Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Spring cleaning in the snow

We have lived in our house for 6 1/2 years. The carpet was not the best quality in the world and it didn't take long for it to mat and/or shred. We discussed new carpet vs laminate floor. I really wanted laminate. If one of the cats get unhappy with the condition of the litter box and decides to pee on the floor, it can be wiped up rather than soaking into a pad and stinking up the house!
Chris moved most of the furniture into the dining room last week (this ties in to "Don't touch my stuff"!). On Saturday, we bought the floor and got down to work. The carpet and pad were sliced into sections, tied and carried out to the curb. The amount of dirt that had collected under the carpet was amazing! Even though we vacuumed regularly, we could have grown potatoes in the dirt I swept up. The new floor snapped easily into place. The baseboard went down easily, too. We bought 18 inch tiles to go at the front door. This was the only hitch in the "new floor" plan. We were 2 tiles short! We dusted all of the furniture and moved it back into place. Sounds like a quick, easy weekend project, right? WRONG! We worked on that room for 3 days! Ten hour days! I have a blister on my knee and my joints and muscles are begging for mercy! But I have a clean room. There is one room in my house that isn't cluttered. It looks great! Dave is convinced that we need to get rid of all the carpet. He and Chris are going to start ripping up the dining room carpet tomorrow. Wonder what I'll be doing on my next day off?!

No comments:

Post a Comment