Thursday, January 8, 2009

Leave my stuff alone!

I got so aggravated with Dave on Saturday. There are times when he becomes a complete and total control freak. You'd think that after 30 years of marriage he would learn that there are things that I simply will not tolerate!
We are planning to yank up the carpet in our living room/dining room/hallway. Six years of wheelchair rolling, muddy shoes, cat yak, and fur has taken its toll on this cheap stuff! In order to get this done, we need to unload all of the stuff in each area. Here is where I need to add that Dave has all of the finer instincts of a pack rat! He has "stuff" in every room of our house, not to mention the basement, garage (my car has never been in the garage...there's no room for a car!), and the barn out back. This stuff is mostly models in various stages of completeness, but also includes trains, magazines, DVDs, boxes (no, we never do throw away a box), and the occasional dirty dish. Where does he decide to start his "cleaning"? IN THE ONE CORNER OF THE LIVING ROOM WHERE I KEEP MY YARN STASH!!!!
My yarn is kept in plastic storage tubs and canvas storage cubes. It's relatively neat, for yarn. Most importantly, It's MY corner! I have my own way of organizing things. It's my defense against his clutter! It may not look organized to anyone else, but can put my hand on anything I want. Worsted weight acrylics are in the plastic tub. Other yarns are placed in cubes based on weight and color. My knitting needles are kept in a gift box that is supposed to be used for a bottle of wine. It's a pretty color and the round shape accommodates lots of needles! There's also some fabric, mostly my WIPs, that I don't want to leave in the basement. My most current pattern books are on the table beside my chair. The others are kept in magazine boxes, sorted out by title and type.
When I'm at work, I'm away from home for three to four day stretches. Imagine my surprise when I came home and my stuff was GONE! "We're working our way around the room and your stuff was next" he said. Right! Then why wasn't the desk cleaned off? Why wasn't his pile of stuff beside the desk in a box? Why was my stuff the only thing moved? I reacted the way any reasonable person would: I hit the roof! In short, I reamed him a new one! "LEAVE MY STUFF ALONE!" I screamed!
He reacted the way any guilty party would: He put on the "poor me" face. He does what he can, he was just trying.....to what? Make me nuttier than I already am?!? Here's a news flash: IT WORKED! I was so angry that I ran away from home. This is also a normal reaction for me. Rather than say something I'll regret, I get in my car and go for a drive. With the radio off, I have time to sort things through and to pray. First, I thank God that I still have Dave to make me crazy. Some women, through death or divorce, are without their husbands. Then, I thank God for my children. They're good kids. Sometimes they have to learn life's lessons the hard way, but they always come back to the solid rock foundation that was laid for them as small children. Last, I have a conversation with God. I tell him why I'm angry and try to justify my anger. I vent, I cry, I whine, I pout. God listens. Then, I stop the car and I listen. Sometimes, God tells me to just chill out. Sometimes He tells me I'm way off base! All the time, He reminds me that He loves us all in spite of our faults and I need to forgive Dave the same way that God has forgiven me.
When I got home, I was calmer. I had a plan. I would just undo what Dave had done and pack up my stuff the way I want it. Unfortunately, Dave was not over it! He had called Catie and Elliott and told them that I had gone flying out of the driveway in a rage. He said he was "preparing them for whatever happened". He also said that the kids were "sick" of my temper fits. I asked each of them if they had said this. Of course they hadn't. I was the one who apologized to each of them. He didn't apologize to anyone!
Nothing has been done in the living room since last Saturday night when I boxed up my things.
I understand that Dave has control issues. I know how much he hates depending on others to help him with daily tasks that he used to be able to do himself. I know he's frustrated. But he has to understand that, by becoming a tyrant he is alienating the people who love him the most. It is not the trial that makes us stronger. It's how we choose to react to/respond to that trial that strengthens us.

1 comment:

  1. RAWR! I love you. And I love dad. And I love cupcakes! YUM!

    ReplyDelete