Monday, May 18, 2009

MRI

The MRI is done! I didn't qualify for the contrast part of the test, so it was just a non-contrast study. Before the test, I had to answer all of the questions that I usually ask. When The "Metal plates or screws in you head" question is asked, I always think about Cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation-"When the microwave's on, I piss my pants and forget who I am for about 30 minutes"! Gotta find a laugh where you can!
The table is narrow, wide enough for Mary-Kate Olsen on a thin day! I had to put my head in a foam brace. A lead plate was put over my chest (to protect my heart from radiation) and a mask was screwed onto that. I felt like a hockey goalie! I was instructed not to move my tongue or lips as that would cause distortion in the images. When you're told not to do something, what do you immediately have the urge to do?!? I was given ear plugs because the tube is noisy. Then I was slid into the tube. I had my eyes closed! I opened my eyes to see where I was. The mask I was wearing was about an inch away from the tip of my nose. The top of the tube was maybe 6 inches away from the mask. Cramped quarters. I closed my eyes again. A series of noises, some like the whistle on a diesel train, some buzzing, some like an electrical popping, started. Buzz, pop, powpowpow, buzzzzzzzzz, click, clikc. It was noisy with the ear plugs in! My left elbow was wedged up against the side of the tube. It started to feel hot, then numb, then hotter! I didn't know that the tube could burn you! After about 20 minutes, the test was over. The mask and breastplate were removed. When I tried to get up and walk, I was dizzy. What a surprise! Didn't know I'd be dizzy afterward. Good info to share next time I send a patient for an MRI of their head or neck.
Now comes the hard part: waiting for the results. I'm hoping that a pinched nerve will explain my unusual (abnormal) reflexes. I'm afraid of the other possibilities.